Savanna and I had another "food prep" day in anticipation of Emma's arrival. My boys have been playing on the patio ALL DAY, so we were able to get a lot of food made to save and for this coming week. They are still so happy outside that I have time to update my blog (And check out my food blog because I am going to put some of these recipes on there today too)!
Okay, so today we made:
Lentil Stew
I love my crock pot. I use it several times a week. One of my favorite cook books is called "The Vegetarian Mother's Cook Book." Has some fabulous recipes for pregnant women and moms with young kids. Basically they are whole food recipes, but they are simple and quick. What pregnant mom has time to whip up gourmet meals every night?? Savanna and I have been using the crock pot for months for breakfasts in the morning. Mornings were not so good for me for a long time, so we would put some steel cut oats and water in the crock pot before bed, and oatmeal would be ready for the kids in the morning! Savanna would just dish it up and add some fruit and nuts, and I could stay in bed a little longer. We also started making parfaits the night before or muesli (cold cereal made of different grains, coconut milk, dried fruit, nuts- whatever you have on hand). My boys are starving when they wake up, and now they don't have to wait for a really hearty breakfast.
Kale Salad
My kids love kale. We used to make kale chips, but now they don't even make it to the dehydrator!
Green Salad
Simple, but pretty- had to put in on here!
Banana, Orange, Flax Crackers
Okay, bad picture, but I'll take another when they are done! I'm always trying to figure out how to get those omegas into my kids. This recipe is a winner (I'll put it on the food blog for sure!).
OJ Pops
Strawberry Freezer Jam
We finally ran out of our year's supply of jam that we made last summer! We didn't make quite as many jars this time, but I think it will last us at least 6 months. And I tried the no/low sugar pectin recipe. I added a little bit of agave and fresh apple juice. Turned out REALLY good!
Trail Mix
This saves really nicely in the freezer.
And, Avocado Chutney!
This is also a fam favorite. My husband even requests it- SO good (on the food blog as well)!

No comments:
Post a Comment