James had to work on the Thursday of Thanksgiving (yay for overtime!), so we celebrated our Turkey Day on Tuesday like we have for the past two years. It was a special Thanksgiving for us because it was also Emma's 3 month birthday! I can't believe she is already 3 months. Time sure has flown by and yet I can't imagine life without her either. I am so very grateful this year. I am grateful for family and friends, new babies and a new home, and I am especially grateful that I am no longer pregnant- man, I really disliked that!
I am grateful for good food, and lots of it! Savanna and I put together the full on spread: Turkey, gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, baked potatoes, salad, french bread, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie, and apple cider.
I am grateful for friendship and missionary work. We were able to have the missionaries and our neighbor Diane join us for our dinner. Diane lives alone, far from her family so it was nice to have her company. The missionaries in our ward right now are wonderful. We enjoyed their sweet spirits and were able to share our gratitude and testimonies with each other.
The next day we were able to participate in an annual charity that a family in our ward organizes called "Families Feeding Families." We all brought items to the church Wednesday night and assembled close to forty full boxes of Thanksgiving Dinners to deliver to housebound senior citizens.
Our family was able to deliver four meals that night. Three were quick stops, but as we approached our last door we were greeted by Rita, a spunky 90 year-old wearing nothing but her bathrobe! Regardless of her attire, she ushered us into her quaint apartment and insisted we sit down and visit. We talked with Rita for close to an hour. She told us about her family and hobbies. She was enamored with Emma and took out a bag of knitted baby caps and allowed me to pick one out for her. Benjamin was especially chatty that night and informed Rita that he had a small head and would like a hat too. There weren't many masculine ones, so he went home with a white and pink knitted cap to the utter dismay of his father! Savanna and I also received knitted caps and matching scarves from Rita.
Rita was an outspoken lady, and we enjoyed her frankness and wit immensely. At one point she asked us if we were Jehovah's Witnesses. Savanna told her we were Mormons. She said, "Mormons, huh? I was just watching a program on TV about you guys...it wasn't good." We just laughed. Rita shrugged and then began talking about something else. I think she was simply lonely and needed someone to talk to. More than the meal, it was great to be of service that night and bring some joy to a sweet, old woman. It also made me extra grateful for the companionship and love I have on a daily basis. Life is good!
Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!!
November 23, 2010

No comments:
Post a Comment