
James and the boys went on their first Father/Son camp out with our Stake. It was a big deal for them to have this time together. With James' previous schedule and his lack of fatherly activities as a child, he was very excited to take his boys on this camp out. This camp out is held every year to celebrate the restoration of the Aaronic Priesthood to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in May of 1829. James said that it was neat sitting around the camp fire, hearing men of different ages bear their testimonies and share their thoughts about this celebration. Him and the boys spent the night cuddled up in the back of our van. Needless to say they came home very tired. I think they'll be taking a tent and separate sleeping bags next time!
Savanna, Emma and I enjoyed another girl's night and a Saturday to ourselves. We ended up driving to Solvang and hitting up the dollar a yard fabric store. I bought some fabric to make curtains for our kitchen windows, and Savanna bought 13 yards of fabric to make herself some new dresses. We have some very talented friends that are helping us with our creative aspirations. Savanna has been very excited about fashion and making her own clothing. She has diverted her goals from architecture and interior design, and now hopes to one day start her own clothing line featuring an array of modest, but chic, dresses. What a great time in her life to be able to dabble here and there and find out what she really loves! I think she will always enjoy architecture and will have a blast decorating her future homes, but she has also found a new love in handwork and crafts. She has been spending her mornings doing her math, scripture study, piano, writing, and history and then spends all afternoon sewing, or making headbands or other decorative items (she just learned to make flowers, like the pink one above, from fabric liner). It is so fun to watch her plow into learning and be full of passion.
One of Savanna's headbands.
Due to some great examples, I have decided to start running! I have never ran for any length of time in my life, but I love the idea of building the strength and endurance necessary for distance running. I found this great program called The Couch-to-5k Running Plan
(http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). It is a 2 month training plan that helps someone go from a couch potato to running a 5k. I am on my second week of training. It is hard, but very rewarding. Savanna started training with me as well. We hope to do a 5k together some time in the Fall.
Our little garden in pots is growing great! We've been harvesting lettuce and even a few blueberries. Our tomato plant and cucumber plant are going crazy. No fruit yet, but soon. We started a bunch of kale from seeds indoors and they are just about ready to move outdoors. We'll have lots of yummy veggies and fruits by summer!
Our Butter Leaf Lettuce
Our Blueberries
Our Tomatoes
May 5 - 17, 2011

2 comments:
Your garden is looking awesome! I can't wait until we get a little heat for the tomato plants. Love the flower as well! I saw some cute headband ideas at JoAnn's today. You might need to take a field trip. :)
Your garden is gorgeous Holli. I think you are awesome!
Post a Comment