Sunday, July 12, 2009

Another Garden Update

It's been awhile since I posted pictures of our garden. A LOT has changed. We are finally harvesting crops on a weekly, sometimes daily basis! I didn't take pictures of everything, but here are the highlights:

Our Cucumber Vines

Here are our pickling cucumbers. We also have regular cucs- they are SO good!
One of baby watermelons- this is going to be awesome!

Our Watermelon Vines

Our Zucchini and Squash plants- they are massive!

Our Spaghetti Squash

One of our thirty or so Cauliflowers

Some of our Zucchini grew a little big!


So far we've made a zucchini quiche, zucchini bread, zucchini and squash stir fry, and zucchini hummus. I've even been sticking a few slices here and there in our green smoothies. We've given a TON away also!

We took about 15 pounds of our pickles and canned them the other day. This was my first experience with canning and the results were FABulous! These are some of the best tasting pickles I've ever had, and I'm kind of a pickle snob. Pickles are my favorite food, so the fact that I grew these cucumbers from seed, made my own brine, and bottled my own jars of pickles is super exciting! As you can see, Savanna is excited too!

Before

After!

Canning is actually really simple. It does take some supplies and good amount of time, but we have so many crops coming up, it is great to be able to store them for later use.

1 comment:

Heather Serrano said...

I want to try the pickles! good s charlie brown's??