Saturday, May 16, 2009

Congrats Daddy




Another big event came out of our Thomas Jefferson Seminar...James finally decided to go back to school! We have been trying to figure out how to get him back to school since our wedding day practically! With working and family, it has been a real heartache for him to have to put that on the back burner. He is a scholar at heart, and thrives in the learning environment. We originally moved to the San Luis Obispo area in hopes that he could attend Cal Poly. Well, once again, life has a funny way of changing plans on us.

George Wythe University sponsored our seminar and is based upon the TJed principles and philosophy. While we were sitting there learning how to become the kind of mentors our children need to be successful, I could see the wheels in James' head turning. What better way to set the example than to enroll in a college that would expect James to get as good of an education as we want our kids to have?

The downside is GWU is in Cedar City, Utah. I'm a pretty spontaneous person, so I just said, "Let's move to Utah!" James is a little more conservative (some may say responsible- there is probably a little of that too!). Plus, he really dislikes Utah. Well, we found out that GWU is offering its first ever online college where James can get his degree completely via the Internet. But, it's way cooler than the online classes I have been exposed to. He sits in on the class in real time. He has a web cam and a microphone, and the teacher can see him and he can see the teacher. He can ask questions and upload his papers. He can chat with the other students. Technology is SO amazing!!

The best part is that he will be getting a seriously well-rounded liberal arts education. An education based on reading classics, exploring how to apply this knowledge to real life, and ultimately recieving the training needed to become a sound leader. We were reading the class descriptions and I can't believe what he will be reading and what he will be exposed to. Seriously, I didn't know universities like this existed! So, he signed up for summer classes that start in 2 days. He will have to apply to the university and get accepted before the summer term ends for his credits to count toward his degree, but I'm not worried about that at all. He is off of work 3-4 days per week which should allow ample time for reading and study. We both feel REALLY good about this decision.

We had to throw him a little party. It is so exciting!! The boys helped decorate, and Savanna made him a special dessert. We hid and jumped out and surprised when he got home from work. It is so exciting!! Have I said that already?? I have always known that great things are expected of James. He was put on the this Earth to make a real difference. I'm not sure what that will look like exactly, but I think a degree from GWU, a degree that will teach him how to be a true leader, is just what he needs to fulfill the Lord's plan for him. You rock, babe!! Let the games begin!!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Wow! I have to say, selfishly I'm happy you're NOT moving to Utah - although they have some great scrap stores I hear! I hope James gets all he's looking for from school. Will he then go on for the architech (sp?) degree? Good luck to all! Ken starts his Ph.D in the fall, I'm less excited...paying and the time just don't sound as exciting at this point...but I'm hopeful it will lead to bigger and better things also.