Saturday, May 16, 2009

Goodbye Grandma



We had a really wonderful couple of days with close family and friends celebrating the memory and life of my grandma, Eva Claire Overhauser Gatto (or to those that knew her, Eve). An appropriate name for a true matriarch. She brought our family together through her love, devotion, and service. She played a central role in the memories of my childhood and also in my dreams for adulthood as a mother and a wife. She has taught me numerous things, both temporal and eternal. I can't express my gratitude enough to God for giving me such a beautiful example of what we, as women, should strive to be like. I love you, Grandma. I can't wait to see you again. I know you will be watching over my family and I until that day when we are all reunited. We miss you terribly, but are happy that you are at peace, free of pain, and in the presence of others you have loved.

I'll Be Seeing You...

James, Bradley, & Holli

Patti & Marsha

Natalie, Georgene, & Linda

Kenny, Marcia, & Suzanne

Nelson, Sofia, & Heather


Morro Rock





The Sermon

The Scattering



The family arrived Friday, May 15th. We all drove out to Morro Bay the morning of the 16th to scatter Grandma's ashes in the sea. The boat ride, although nauseating for us that get sea sick, was beautiful. James gave a sweet talk, and the kids enjoyed throwing rose petals into the water. I tried to capture James' talk on video (see the bottom of this post), but my camera died midway through! (He will be typing it up and posting it on his blog at www.jameswyett.blogspot.com/ or you can click on the link to his blog on the right side of this page. )
After the service, we returned to our clubhouse and enjoyed each others' company. We ate, the kids played, Savanna created a fun trivia game about my Grandma, and songs were sung. It was a perfect tribute. I wouldn't change one minute of it. I know it made her very happy. My great Aunt Lala Bobbi also passed away recently, and we were celebrating her life and memory as well.






Collage de Eve

Collage de Lala





Part of James' Talk


Ben's Opinion of the Ocean

Thanks to everyone who attended both in body and spirit. It will be a weekend I will always remember.

1 comment:

Heather Serrano said...

hey you stole some of my pictures!