One of the first phases in a great education is Core Phase. It's in core phase that we learn fundamental principles that we will build upon our entire lives. Some of these principles are learning right from wrong, good from bad, and true from false. Others include responsibility, accountability, faith, service, and compassion (there are MANY more). I was once asked at a home schooling seminar given by Dr. Brooks what I wanted my children to learn in my home, and take with them into adulthood. All the parents in the audience began calling out their responses. Our responses varied, yet all had something basic in common. We wanted our kids to grow up to be men and women of virtue and integrity. We wanted them to learn to be strong parents, and friends, and leaders. We wanted them to be filled with a passion for learning, and gratitude for life. All of these ideas are embedded in a solid Core phase. Surprisingly, out of the 50 plus people in the room, not one parent said they wanted their child to excel at math or have perfect handwriting or score high on a standardized test. Not that those are bad goals in and of themselves, but when you think of building a solid foundation, you have to focus on the best ingredients. If you do, the math, reading, writing will follow...
Some days or weeks as a home schooling family, we just focus on Core Phase. This can be because I feel my children or I need to focus on these principles, or because of extenuating circumstances. Last week, James ended up in the hospital after a severe allergic reaction to his monthly infusion for his immune deficiency. It was pretty scary, and although he is completely fine and all is well, we had to adjust our week greatly. We jumped into what I like to call "team player mode." Everyone had to step up, and do a little extra. I was at the hospital with James for awhile, and even after we were home we were all a little distracted. So we put the books away, said a prayer of thanks for Dad being okay, and spent some time in Core Phase.
Teaching children to work and become team players is crucial to a successful Core Phase, and I believe this is best taught in the home. I don't know about you, but I never have enough time to do all that I need to do. Even without emergencies, with the children home all day I am often asked how I get anything done. My answer: they help me! Savanna is an amazing helper, and even my young boys help with the daily chores (and they can do a pretty darn good job!). This kind of work builds confidence, self-esteem, and independence, and I believe it is just as important, if not more, than academic studies. Plus, whatever I can teach them to do for themselves, I don't have to do...do you see the magic here? Everyone wins!
Bradley often, through choice of his own, doesn't want to eat what we are having for dinner. I don't have a problem with this as long as he makes himself something else, and cleans up the mess. His meals have become more and more ornate. Here he make himself pita bread with hummus, salad, and sliced apples with almond butter- not too shabby!
Savanna doing her school work while helping babysit little Christian Mathews. Is she going to be a great mommy one day or what?
Bradley and Ben, helping make and store our homemade granola.
Bradley is in charge of watering our plants. Although I had to fore go our big garden this year (for obvious reasons!), we have planted several veggies in pots on our patio. We should have lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and herbs this summer for our salads (if I can kill all the snails who keep trying to eat them!).
Ben likes to help transfer laundry from the washer to the dryer- it's pretty difficult for him to reach down and get everything, but he does it!
May 5-May 8, 2010

2 comments:
What good helpers you've got! A little tip on keeping snails out...if you go to Home Depot or somewhere you can buy this copper tape to put around your pots. For some reason snails won't cross the copper - it like shorts them out or something. Once you get rid of all the snails in your pots (sometimes it takes a while with the babies you can't see), it totally works!
Holli, I love reading your blog, Wow what a Mom you are! I did all that with my kids too and let me tell you, they're pretty good adults because of it! Good goin' Mom!
love ya
Diane
Post a Comment