Saturday, March 26, 2011

Goals & Lessons Revisited

This week we finally made our annual dream posters and set some personal and family goals for 2011- only 3 months late but better late than never, right? As you can see from my poster, I am revisiting the lesson of simplification. As much as I try, I can't seem to do EVERYTHING...imagine that. After several talks with my wonderfully supportive husband, inspired Bishop, Heavenly Father, and myself, I have set some very simple goals for myself for the rest of the year. We have scaled down several of our activities, gotten rid of a few more, and I am feeling MUCH better already. A friend recommended I make a list of everything I do and then cross out anything that wasn't necessary. That was a very hard task for me. We are involved in so many good things...but even good things can lead to a negative reaction depending on the quantity and circumstances. In a recent talk by one of our modern day prophets we were counseled to slow down when experiencing turbulence in our life, just as a pilot would decrease speed when experiencing turbulence in the air. I would definitely describe a new baby, a new house, and home schooling 3 older kids as turbulence. They are all good things, but they can still be daunting with a dozen or more other commitments surrounding them. Like I said, this is not a new lesson for me but one I have been revisiting and have another opportunity to ponder and implement.

Savanna's Dream Poster- I was pretty impressed with her poster this year. Covered some great things- education, health, exercise, spiritual goals, shoes- all the necessities for a young girl!

Bradley's Dream Poster- He said this was what he wanted his life to look like when he was a grown up. He wants to have a family, a cell phone, a BBQ, go to the water park, be with Jesus (that's him and Jesus on the bottom left), and eat jelly beans- not necessarily in that order!

Benjamin's Dream Poster- Can you tell he likes burgers? In an effort to curb my husband's fast food outings we have been making burgers one night a week for about a month and a half. We've made all sorts of different kinds, and recently bought a little charcoal BBQ. The boys LOVE this new tradition. Let's see what else...I see Slurpees and the bottom left is a picture of Dad teaching him how to ride his bike, and taking him hiking and swimming. :)

It will be an exciting year at whatever pace we trek because let's face it, our family is awesome and always entertaining!

No comments: