Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another Week in the Wyett Household

Well, this week the sickies have continued to be passed on. Savanna came down with whatever Brad and Emma had around Wednesday, and is still in bed today (Sunday) but is doing much better. James, Ben, and I have escaped it luckily!

Emma and I have been walking 2-3 miles a day. I can't tell you how great that feels! I was feeling so stressed out about losing all my baby weight. I felt like I had to go on a strict diet, start up my p90x again, count calories, etc. The baby still has me up all night and I can't fathom anything too strict right now. So all I have been doing is avoiding white flour and sugar, and walking. I already feel like I'm losing weight and gaining energy. Sometimes the answer is simple.

Speaking of simple answers, we finally were able to take Bradley to our local homeopath for his allergy issues. He spent over 2 hours with us asking a ton of questions. Homeopathy deals with the entire person- physically, mentally, & emotionally. Unlike conventional medicine where the doctor sees the symptoms someone is having as a disease or malfunction of the body, homeopathy sees symptoms as a healthy body's way of telling us that their is an imbalance that simply needs to be corrected. So instead of giving drugs or other treatments to stifle symptoms (In Brad's case: cortisone cream to stop a rash or an antihistamine to stop allergy symptoms, etc.), homeopathy deals with remedies that stimulate the body's own ability to heal itself and restore its proper balance.
(I am paraphrasing from the website of our homeopath, Dr. Fine. For more info, check him out at http://www.howardfine-nd.info/articles.html).

We have been to every kind of allergist, immunologist, pediatrician, and nutritionist. They all have recorded Brad's symptoms and then lumped him in a "category." That category determined the drug or treatment he was given to stifle his symptoms. The problem is once we have stopped the treatment, all of his symptoms keep returning!

According to Dr. Fine, the key to finding the right remedy is to actually find those symptoms that are unique to just Bradley. That is why he spent hours with us asking him questions that ranged from what Brad dreamt about to what position he sleeps in to what is his favorite food. He really got to know Bradley on many levels and was able to select a remedy based on Brad's particular situation, not just give us another cookie-cutter Band-Aid.

We are anxious to see how Bradley will be doing in the next few weeks or months. Since his problem has been chronic it may take awhile for his body to balance out, but already he is showing signs of progress and it has only been 3 days!

Our little Emma is better now, too. She had a 102 degree fever for about 24 hrs, a little cough for a couple days after that, and she's great now! Back to her happy self (actually this was taken the night of her fever- she looks pretty happy, but only because Daddy was making funny noises at her).

We finally put up her crib (well, James put up her crib). It was a sad moment for me...she just looks so big in that crib. Where is my little baby?? But, we must move on. I found the bedding I want for her crib. It's $250 at Babies R Us, but I found it on craigslist for $30- score! I'm picking it up next week and then I'll post more pics. :)

Monday nights are Savanna's night to cook dinner. I love this! She has become quite the chef. Here she made us Nori rolls with Tamari dipping sauce, brown rice, and Caesar salad. It was very good (Can you guess who taught her??)!



Bradley is quite the chef as well. He loves to make his own salad. Here he is making a kale salad. No pics of Chef Benjamin. We don't dare give that kid a knife!

Marley ate some kale too!

The strawberry stands are open again, and the boys helped me make some quick freezer jam. For my canning experts, can anyone tell me why the fruit and juice separated like that? I followed the directions exactly...not sure this batch set correctly. We'll have to eat it quick- darn!




James asked the boys if they wanted to sit on his lap and read a story before bed. Marley jumped right up and joined them. Ever since our friend Anna came over, Marley thinks he is lap dog. He doesn't realize that he is almost 50 lbs!





Marley's new bed.

Brad reading the gang a story.


Oh, and here is my thrift store find of the week- $2! Isn't it cute? Savanna and I love checking out the thrift stores.

March 8 - 13, 2011

No comments: