Well, this week was full of birthday celebrating! We finally were able to go down South and visit the Serrano family. We brought Sofi her gifts, and Ben received his gifts. Heather bought mini cup cakes and we had a little party for them in the backyard. It was beautiful day, and all of the children behaved so wonderfully. The boys loved the new play room and outdoor toys. They even were allowed in the jacuzzi for the first time which was a big hit! James was able to get away and visit the temple, and our Emma even napped away from her crib...yeah, it was a relaxing and fun day!
This was the first time I have ever put Emma in a swing. We have to get her one of these. She was so happy!
With Ben's new interest in scuba diving, he was all excited about being in the jacuzzi. He kept pretending to swim and be a "scuba diber."
Gabby is so incredibly sweet. She smiled and cooed at me all afternoon. We all took turns cuddling with her. What a doll.
Sofi liked her presents, especially her new cash register (which she thought was a computer), and the play money that came with it. She is talking so well. Her little voice is darling. And, I love how little kids talk in the third person. Sofi cake. Sofi presents. Sofi money. :)
Ben got two Lego games. You have to build the game boards and dice, and then you play. He also got a scuba diver set with a snorkel, mask, and fins!
Cupcakes!
Brad started to put together Ben's Lego game.
It wasn't working out so well, so Dad jumped in and helped. I think he had more fun than the boys!
And the party continued...
Well as was very tactfully pointed out by my best friend, Jackie, I have somehow "forgotten" to mention that my birthday is also in April. Silly me. Since James is working twelve hours on my actual birthday (which is this Sunday), we celebrated as a family yesterday. I get one day a year to do anything I want (within reason, of course). So what did I do? I slept in (even with my night wakings I think I slept almost 9 hours- that was AWESOME!), my wonderful husband and daughter made my favorite breakfast- Eggs Benedict with a side of fresh pineapple, I took a long bath, went for a walk in the park, went to the nursery and bought plants, came home and planted them all, had another wonderful meal made for me, watched a cute movie, and went to bed. It was a great day! Nothing fancy, but just what I wanted.
It's funny celebrating birthdays when you have small kids. The kids (even Savanna) were very excited to find out what I wanted to do. They all had their suggestions (the beach, Bob Jones Trail, movies, restaurants, etc.), and I have to say they were somewhat disappointed in my choices. There was griping and moaning throughout the morning, but by the time gardening and movie watching came around, they seemed to be over it and ready to go with the flow. I think the trick with having a relaxing birthday is to either plan something that the children can do WITH you, or to plan to have the children sent away so you can enjoy your adult activities without whining. You think I would have this all figured out after over a decade of parenting!
There is nothing better than homemade cards for Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom (See Ben's card on the left!).
Part of my yummy dinner- Caesar Salad- we've been eating this like crazy lately. I found whole grain croutons and the best dressing at Vons.
Well, I stopped eating sugar over 6 weeks ago. I have been slowly losing the pounds just by removing all the white, processed foods out of my diet (sugar, white flour, white potatoes, etc.). But since it was my birthday, I splurged just a little. James got me these incredible brownie cookies, and my favorite sorbet.
And, here is my loot for my garden!
BEFORE
We are waiting for the silly HOA people to approve a bid for the re-seeding of our front lawn. It looks terrible. So, we decided to put some pots in the area where the lawn is non-existent. I have to say, it made it look a lot less ghetto!
Brad and I are starting some seeds in six packs in the house, and then we are going to transplant them outside.
Emma loved to be outside watching the activity.
AFTER
We also put all this in our front yard until we figure out a way to fence off my garden from Marley in the back. Eventually James is going to build me a raised bed out there, and I will be able to grow three times as much stuff! For now, I hope this works. I haven't had that much luck with veggies in pots before. But we did our homework, so fingers are crossed! We planted lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, basil, peppers, and blueberries. A good start. :)
Oh, and my hubby also bought me a Kindle for my birthday. I can't tell you how awesome this little gadget is! I already have close to 50 books, all of my pdf files, scriptures and church manuals, recipes, and games on it. And those are just all the free stuff! I am officially spoiled!!
Emma's first trip on a swing!
April 14 - 15, 2011

1 comment:
Good Girl!!! Happy Early Bday - I'll give you a call tomorrow! Hope it's a good one.
Glad the photo hanging is getting good use - maybe we'll put something together for you to work on for yourself - a "me" book if you will.
Post a Comment