I'm not the only one either! :) Several hundred people flocked to the Live Oak Campground in Santa Barbara to feast from the largest Raw Vegan Food Court (so cool!), to meet and learn from doctors, nutritionists, and raw gourmet chefs who support this way of life, to socialize with other like-minded people, and, of course, to shop from over 100 different booths selling the best quality organic foods, supplements, clothing, and other essentials!
I can't even begin to tell you how much I learned from these three days. I learned how to make some incredibly great food, received answers to prayer about my family's health, had some much needed time away from the daily grind, and bought some really cool stuff.
My favorite thing I bought is a nut milk bag. I know, I'm a total weirdo. It's okay, I'm excited about my nut milk bag! What is a nut milk bag, you ask? Well, it's a bag that helps you make nut milk! Since my kids don't eat or drink dairy products, I make them nut milks. Almond milk, Brazil Nut milk, Hazelnut milk, Sesame Seed milk, etc. (you get the picture). I used my bag for the first time today and it cut my "milk-making" time in half- at least! I'll post the recipe to my nut milk on my food blog this week and take a snap shot of my bag. I know you're all dying to see it!
My mother-in-law and two sisters-in-law joined me as well. Savanna even came for one of the days, and she was super impressed with the people and spirit at this event. She kept saying, "Everyone is so nice and relaxed. I like the way it feels here. Look at that person's skin! Did you see his eyes?" People who live this lifestyle seem to be on a higher plane emotionally and spiritually. They tend to be more "one with their surroundings" and just...at peace. Plus, they look FABULOUS. Savanna also got very excited about some of the raw dishes and has helped me make several of them since we've been home. This is a great turning point because overall she hasn't been super excited about our family's vegan journey- changing over from a mainstream diet to a primarily vegan diet at 10 years old can be a little hard. But she is starting to realize how much better she feels physically, and about herself in general, when she is conscious of what she puts in her body. It was very fun spending time with her and enjoying a mutual hobby. She says she can't wait for next year!
If anyone is interested (any other weirdos out there???), you can check out the site: http://www.rawspiritfest.com. They hold these events all over the world and I would highly recommend them if you want to learn more about the raw vegan lifestyle. Even if you aren't ready to throw out your oven or give up your Friday night pizza, finding fun, tasty ways to eat more fresh fruits and veggies is always a good idea.
I took some awesome pictures of some of the food I ate. It was so good, and so beautiful. I learned many things: one of them was that the color of food indicates its phytonutrient. And foods with similar colors have similar nutrients. So they said if you want to make sure your meals are balanced, just have a rainbow of color on your plate. Almost all the raw dishes I sampled where vibrant in different colors- so stunning to look at and even better to eat! I wish I had taken more pictures. Next year, I will do better at documenting my three days. :)

2 comments:
Those salads do look great! As I have gotten older I have grown to love fresh, raw foods more. But I still can't give up my beef. At least now I am more likely to add more sides instead of just having the steak. I don't think I have ever tried a nut milk. Sounds pretty yummy.
You would need two salads - since you're basically eating grass! Seriously, good for you looking for all the ways to incorporate good stuff into yours and your kid's diet.
Post a Comment