This was a unique conference. As a home schooling parent, I would like to think of myself as informed about education. I have read books and attended other seminars and such, but this seminar in particular really hit home for me. It was one of those situations where you find yourself in the right place at the right time. I NEEDed to hear his message, and I truly believe that everyone in America and around the world needs to hear it too.
He spoke about teaching vs. educating, the tenants of freedom and how to perpetuate them, what an American is, virtue vs. skills (and how to foster both), and specific roles that mothers, fathers, and extended families play in creating and maintaining true leadership education. Does any of this sound important to you? If so, let me know. I am in the works trying to set up a time for Dr. Brooks to come and speak here on the Central Coast- it's a free event and worth your time, I promise.
Like I said before, his message is one that I believe every one needs to hear. This is not just a "home schooling thing"- these principles can drastically improve the quality of education in any public or private sector. Education is SO vitally important. Without it, we lose our freedom. Period.
I left the meeting feeling inspired, yes, but more than that I left with a solid testimony of "why" I do what I do with my family. I believe that without this why, most people will not continue to gain a great education and motivate their children to do the same. They will fall back into old,less effective patterns because they have not been converted to the cause. Nothing is more powerful than meeting with a person that has passion, drive, and a real testimony about what he preaches. Dr. Brooks has this, and I am grateful to him for sharing this message with the world.
Dr. Brooks is also the co-author of a new book, Thomas Jefferson Education for Teens. I just finished reading it and all I can say is that if you have children, you will want to buy them a copy of this book- home schooled or not. It basically helps them to realize their full potential and their personal missions, and to find their true selves and want to do all they can to get an amazing education. I wish I had read something like this as a teenager!
(To order copies go to: http://www.plutarchpublishing.com/Plutarch_Publishing,_inc/Plutarch_Publishing,_inc.html)
11-16-2009


1 comment:
I'm certainly on board with this I cant wait to check it out more:)!!
Post a Comment