Lack of sleep and some post-baby emotions plus a major move and sick kids...it all finally caught up with me and I had a little breakdown. My husband is so very sweet. He was at work on Sunday when it all seemed to overwhelm me. He surprised me by getting up with the baby that night, taking the next day off of work, making me my favorite breakfast, and then taking me on a date in Morro Bay. It was the perfect day, and really helped me recharge. I am very lucky to have a husband that is so considerate of me. I love you, Sweetheart.
I think it's the sleep deprivation that is the biggest factor in my feeling overwhelmed. Things I can normally handle well seem insurmountable when I have been so very tired. One of our reasons for going to Morro Bay was to buy a co-sleeper I found on craigslist. Emma refuses to sleep in the little porta-crib we've had her in. It's gotten to the point where I am getting up 7-8 times per night with her, sometimes for an hour or more at a time! But if she is near me or in our bed, she sleeps much better. So we researched co-sleeping a little and found this mini co-sleeper. I absolutely love it, and our night time escapades have changed quite a bit since we got it!
The co-sleeper is basically a porta-crib, but the third side goes down and is pretty much even with the mattress, so it's like an extension of your bed. The baby has her own little area where she is safe, but she can see and smell Mom, and it makes breast feeding in the night a breeze!
The co-sleeper actually has a strap that goes all the way under the mattress so it is secure to the bed and won't move around or topple over (fits all sizes of beds- ours is Cal King).
Emma seems to like it, although she still prefers our actual bed and somehow still manages to end up there at least once during the night! She still is waking up multiple times a night, but since I am right there I can grab her quickly or give her the pacifier before she totally wakes up. And, I don't totally wake-up either just rolling over and picking her up or patting her back. SO much better! We'll see how this works for a bit. Once she starts crawling this little co-sleeper will not be as functional...at least at times when we are not sleeping with her. I will enjoy it while it lasts. She really is a darling baby.
In addition to being a night owl, Emma has also decided she doesn't like to take long naps anymore. She maybe takes a few 20 min cat naps throughout the day. I think she doesn't want to miss out on anything. There is a lot of action around here these days with two crazy brothers, a dog, and a teen-aged sister. She loves to play with her toys, and just recently has figured out how to get them in her mouth!
Since she is sitting up, we got out her jogger stroller and tried it out for the first time this week. She loves to go on walks and check everything out. She also will nap in her stroller - babies love that constant movement. We'll be using this every day, especially since we have Marley to walk now!
She still loves her swing, and actually will nap for longer periods in her swing if she isn't woken up. She's getting a bit heavy for it though. It doesn't swing as fast as it used to!
Her favorite place to sleep (besides my chest) is in the crook of Daddy's arm!
(ps...the annoying baby talk in the background is Savanna, not me!)
January 23 - 30, 2011

1 comment:
Oh Holli I had no idea you were interested in one of these. I have one you could have borrowed. I loved it. I hope you are getting some sleep now.
Post a Comment