Friday, June 25, 2010

The Law by Frederic Bastiat, & Other Great Reads

James and I are avid readers. I am involved in two book groups, plus I read a ton on the side too. I find myself usually reading 4-5 books at a time. I read a little of this one, then a little of that one. The topics vary based on what's going on in my life. I am a non-fiction nut. Most of the books I read are non-fiction and have to do with something that I am aspiring to be better at. I decided to make a slide show of all the books I've read so far this year or am currently reading. You can scroll down to the bottom of my blog to peruse my literary tastes. :) You'll see some themes: education, nutrition, babies, classics...add the scriptures, and this is what I am into these days.


We just finished reading "The Law" by Frederic Bastiat for our book group. Bastiat was a french political economist in the late 1800s during the French Revolution. He despised the absolute monarchy and what it was doing to his country, and wrote a book about what true liberty, what true law, should entail. Our founding father's looked to Bastiat's writing to formulate many of their ideas about limited gov't and freedom in the New World. I really enjoyed this book, and highly recommend it. It is a short read- only 76 pages- but it finally gave me the words to what I have been feeling for a very long time.

June 22, 2010

1 comment:

Jackie said...

I kept a list for 2009 - LOVED the idea. I actually did a scrapbook page about the list. I found it kept me motivated to read...when the time allowed.