Saturday, April 4, 2009

Community Garden Update!!



James, staking out our plot!


Spraying the Round-Up weed killer...


Tilling the ground...I swear he's not the only one working! I'm just behind the camera so you can't all my blood, sweat, and tears!!


Here are most of our seeds and few of our plants.


Gopher diggers, hard at work!


Ben is the garden foreman.


Savanna, helping flatten out our lumpy terrain.


Janel, raking away!


Savanna, practicing making rows.


S-A-V-A-N-N-A & B-R-A-D...what's that spell? Teamwork!


Again, here is Ben's contribution. Oh look, a pile. I should jump in it!


Janel's hubby, Jose, hard at work. She said I should capture this moment on film because it doesn't happen very often...her words, not mine!


We laminated colored pictures of all our plants!


This looks worse than it is. Bradley was walking by a metal gate when a big burst of wind blew it down on of him. Scared the poor thing and cut off over half finger nail. Luckily, John fixed it up real nice a band-aid and Janel had an apple juice box (and it his apple day- imagine that!). We're just hoping the nail grows back. Yuck!


THE BEFORE....(drum roll please)


AND THE AFTER!!



Okay, well as you can see, we have been hard at work since my last update on our garden. This gardening stuff is not for the faint of heart! We have been busy preparing the soil and I am happy to say we are finally ready to begin our planting!

But, before that, let me tell you what we've done: We've mowed, sprayed the weeds with weed killer, raked and raked and raked, flattened out the ground, tilled the soil, added some chicken fertilizer, shopped for all our plants and seeds, and have begun making our rows!

We are going to be planting 27 varieties of fruits and veggies. Let me see if I can remember them all: carrots, green onion, red onion, yellow onion, cucumber, pickling cucumbers, zucchini, squash, watermelon, strawberries, beets, radishes, cabbage, kale, romaine, spinach, swiss chard, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, tomatoes, red leaf lettuce, jalapenos and serrano peppers, celery, broccoli, and bell pepper!

Mmmm....it's gonna be great! We are scheduled to plant next Tuesday if the weather is good. :)

1 comment:

JenPB said...

THIS IS FANTASTIC! Puts our little 17'x20' plot to SHAME!