Sunday, August 23, 2009

New Additions to Our Family

You know how they say when it rains, it pours?? Well, James and I got a little taste of this saying a few weeks ago. We spent several nights and many hours combing through our finances. We got rid of EVERYTHING unnecessary in our budget, and I mean everything! We put ourselves on a strict cash-only system. We even took our debit cards out of our wallets. We were excited at the prospect of saving money, paying off debt, and actually getting ahead. We actually figured we could save twelve hundred dollars our first month with all of our changes!!

Then it began to sprinkle when James went out to the mail and received a bill for my car registration for a little over a hundred dollars. We hadn't remembered that. Okay, well we could still save over a grand. Not too bad, right? Well, it began to sprinkle harder as the motor died on our dryer and the repair man came out. We had to pay him to tell us we needed a new dryer. It was full-on raining now as we went to the mail box again (we should really stop doing that), and there was a late medical bill from one of Brad's blood tests back in February for a few hundred dollars. We were wet, but still optimistic. We still had around $600. But, we had no dryer. Should we use the money to buy a new one?? A family of five can't be without a dryer, right? That's when it began to pour as the washer started making very weird noises. Yes, within two weeks both of our appliances died!! That decided it, and there went our savings, and in came two new additions to our family.

So, we actually went backwards a little the very first month in our "big savings" plan! I wish I could say we would have an extra twelve hundred every month, but that is sadly not the case. Either way, we were able to get a great deal on a new washer and dryer. We felt like adults as we left the Sears parking lot. It is our first new appliance purchase since we've been married! They aren't the fancy new high efficiency sets, but to us they are pretty darn cool! And they work great!!

So yes, sometimes when it rains, it definitely pours. But, we are grateful we were able to handle everything okay, and didn't repeat past mistakes like sticking another twelve hundred bucks on a credit card!!


Our Kenmore Washer

Our Kenmore Dryer

Our dryer is HUGE!

Aren't they pretty?? :)

8-12-09

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Did I ever tell you about the WEEK where I got a 300 speeding ticket and our dishwasher broke? Yeah I understand your pain!

Powers Fam said...

Great job of sticking to your guns on not using a credit card. It always seems that when Cliff and I start to save up a little something would get in the way. The other day I went shopping thinking I had some extra cash. I was so excited driving home with some new drapes and then I remembered that I had a 900 dollar dental bill to pay! So I called the dental office to clarify why I was being charged that amount and it turns out they billed me wrong! Totally made my day. :) And yes, your new washer/dryer set if very pretty. There is something very nice about a new washer and dryer-like your clothes will be cleaner or something. ha!

The Wyett Family said...

Yeah, I actually think they DO clean our clothes better. Or it could be my super cool laundry soap I've been making! :)