Halloween was short and sweet this year...this is a theme I'm starting to really like. On Thursday we carved our pumpkins. The boys really loved the pumpkin carving, and all 4 of the kids got their own pumpkins. James is the master carver, and I bake all of the seeds afterwards!
We celebrated on Friday since Halloween falls on a Sunday this year. I was very grateful to get out of trick or treating, and the kids didn't seem to care either way. As it was, they still ended up with a HUGE amount of candy...sigh.
Here are the highlights:
Bradley finally decided on a Pirate. I tried to get him to practice his "arrgggh," but he thought that was ridiculous.
Ben was our cute, toothless Fire Chief.
Savanna was a fairy. This was the easiest costume ever and aside from the wings, she can wear it over and over!
And the star of the show was our Little Pea in a Pod (even though two other babies showed up as peas, she still was a hit)!
We ended up going to our ward's Trunk or Treat activity. They had a wonderful dinner followed by a costume parade and trick or treating...I mean trunk or treating. Anyone who wanted decorated their trunk and parked in the lot at church. The kids walked around (several times) and collected candy from the trunks. This was great not only because we knew all the people (we were able to make homemade treats that were safe to be handed out!), but the kids got to go around with all of their friends and primary teachers. Savanna was the only teenager making the rounds- no embarrassment there on her part. She is a candy addict!
Our Trunk.
Our Treats!
As is customary in our house, when we got home we dumped out all the candy on the floor and the children picked out their favorite candies to keep (to be doled out at Mom's discretion). The rest is left out for the Switch Witch (aka Dad) who will trade candy for a cool prize. Bradley really likes this idea, but Ben informed me the other day very indignantly that I was the Switch Witch because he saw me put their prizes in the cart at the store last year. He also informed me that I was a big liar (wow, he's been carrying that around all year!). I told him, "Ok, Ben, here's the deal. You can trade your candy for a prize or you can trade your candy for nothing." He's warming up to the prize idea!
Overall this Halloween was fun...but I'm glad it's over. Just doing normal things is still a bit overwhelming with a newborn. It is a sweet and sacred time, but a tiring one nonetheless. I will be thinking of all of you out and about tomorrow evening while I am home with my kids watching Halloween videos and reading some "scary" books the boys picked out from the library! :)
October 28 - 29, 2010

No comments:
Post a Comment