It seems that every other month or so I post about some change in our home we have made...whether it be physically moving furniture or implementing a new routine or strategy. Well, a few months ago the older three children decided to share a sleeping room and turn our second bedroom into a craft/play/school room. It has worked out very well and has been utilized a good deal, however, the room is just too small. Squeezing all three kids and their shelves, tables, and projects into a 100 square foot room led to many messes and squabbles. Plus, the craft room was upstairs, and James and I spend most of our time downstairs so they were unsupervised a lot. It just made sense with the type of environment we are trying to create in our home to utilize the biggest room in our house for this purpose. So...this week we moved the craft/play room to the livingroom, and turned the upstairs second bedroom into an office/den. Wow, now this is really going to work out well! The children have so much more room to spread out and play. I am always downstairs cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, etc. and can help them organize their projects and encourage their creativity. I have my rocker in the livingroom to nurse the baby and read my books but other than that, the room is theirs.
We even moved the futon and computer desk to the office, so there is officially no media devices in our living room. We banished the TV from our living room a long time ago, but I didn't realize how much time my husband and I spent on the computer during the day because it was "there." Facebook, email, youtube, you name it, and every time we were on the computer the children would gravitate towards the screen and stop their play. Now that the computer is in a separate room, we still use it (I'm obviously using it right now!), but we tend to do it in the evenings or other times of day that don't interrupt our learning times. I do have to say it is a little weird not to have a couch of some sort in our main living area...but for the few times of year that we have company, we'll have to make do!
October 27, 2010

1 comment:
I think it is great that you move around and change stuff. Gotta find what works best for your family and space. I miss Savanna. Doesn't she need a new project to work on?
Post a Comment