Well, I've been wanting to take the kids out to glean apples this season, and we finally did it this week! We headed up to our favorite apple ranch, See Canyon Fruit Ranch, and gleaned a TON of apples! It was a beautiful day, and a really fun activity to do with the kids. Plus, it was a great deal. We gleaned about 40 lbs of apples for $14!!
Here is the store where you can buy different varieties of apples or fresh apple cider.
Okay, well on to the next adventure. We couldn't leave Avila without stopping at the Avila Barn. It was all decked out for Fall, complete with pumpkins and hay mazes. Really fun...although the hay maze kind of freaked me out. It seriously made me claustrophobic, and it was REALLY hard to get out! The kids, of course, loved it. Small spaces, running in circles- what fun!
We did make it out of the maze- finally- with a little help from some other kids in there. :) Now, you may be asking yourself, "what the heck are they going to do with 40 lbs of apples??" Well, I'm glad you asked! We ended up making and canning a bunch of apple sauce, juicing a bunch, and making our very first homemade apple pie! It was a lot of fun.

Brad's job was to wash the apples- he was very good at it!
Gotta love my Vitamix
Total ham...

That was seriously A LOT of applesauce!



I gotta say, I'm seriously impressed with our first attempt at pie making. This pie was SO darn good! The applesauce was also really great, and what person doesn't like fresh squeezed apple juice?? Overall, it was a very busy, but productive day.
All right, off to work off my pie (I just had a very small piece- I swear)! :)
All right, off to work off my pie (I just had a very small piece- I swear)! :)

3 comments:
Holli I'm so glad we ran into you at the Avila Barn! Your apple pie does look scrumptious! You should can apple pie filling next year. When Cliff and I get lazy we cook up apples, butter, and yummy seasoning in our iron skillet then serve it up with ice cream. We skip the crust part and probably save a few calories also.
You're soooo betty corcker these days!!! Good for you! We have a place right up the road that's similar - maybe you'll inspire me - at least to go picking, not sure about canning!
Once you start picking your own produce, it's very hard to buy it again in stores. It tastes SO much better!!
Who's Betty Corcker any way?? (Sorry, couldn't resist that one Mrs. English Teacher!).
Post a Comment