Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Happy 8th Anniversary to Us!

James and I celebrated our 8th wedding anniversary this Tuesday. It was a really wonderful day. As our gift, Savanna offered to babysit for the entire day. It's the first time we've left her alone with the boys for this long. We planned out the day strategically with games, activities, stories, movie time, and meals. They not only survived, but they had a great time- and we were free for about eight hours (this won't be happening again for a VERY long time with our little one coming so soon)! I was very proud of Savanna. We left around 11am and came home around 7pm. The house was clean, the boys were ready for bed, and she was quietly reading on the couch when we arrived back- super impressed!

James and I went back and forth on what we wanted to do for the day. We finally decided to explore some areas of the county we have never experienced. We started out our day in Avila Beach at the Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort. This resort is absolutely beautiful. It has an amazing cafe, lots of hiking trails, a full spa, gardens, yoga classes, and of course, mineral springs. We ate at the cafe, and the food was really good. I ordered Eggs Benedict, one of my favorites. (Every time I see Eggs Benedict on a menu it is served with Hollandaise sauce which is a little to lemony and sweet for me. I was raised to eat it with Bearnaise sauce. We made a special request, and the chef made it for me with Bearnaise sauce from scratch- the best I've ever had!) We spent over 3 hours at the resort just walking around and enjoying the quiet. We didn't even talk that much- it was kind of funny. I guess we both just needed "to be." It wasn't an awkward type of silence, just a peaceful togetherness of sorts. I think this is one of the measurements of a secure relationship. We can just enjoy being in each others' company without filling up every minute with noise or entertainment.

The coolest part of the resort is that it has mineral spring hot tubs scattered throughout the hillside that you can rent by the hour. They wouldn't let me go in them at 8 months pregnant, but they let us go up to one and I put my feet in for a few minutes. Very romantic and relaxing. We have decided that we will definitely be going back here!

Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort:


The Hillside Tubs:










The resort had a meditation garden complete with this rock labyrinth. There are some ancient theories about this labyrinth. If I understand it correctly, you meditate as you walk around and around the maze of rocks and by the time you reach the center you will have found some closure or answer or comfort to whatever you have been mulling over. James had some deep thoughts about this activity...I let him try this out on his own while I rested on a nearby bench (we had already been walking for quite awhile!). :)




He made it!

This is a cairn. You are supposed to leave a stone as you pass this point without disturbing the peace of the ones others have left...James was not so successful at this!


Next we headed north and stopped at the Madonna Inn for a really great dessert (a huge banana split- James ate about 2/3rds of it!). We have never been to the Inn- it's pretty cool...very pink, but cool. We took lots of pictures, but didn't stay very long.









We ended our day in Arroyo Grande. We went to see "Dinner for Schmucks" which is totally a rental. It had its moments, but I don't need to watch it again. It was a little too raunchy for me in parts...but that was to be expected, I guess. Our time was limited so we stopped off at a very cute Thai place near the village for a quick dinner. We were really impressed with the food and the quaint atmosphere (I think it's called Thai Kitchen). We arrived home, put the boys to bed, watched another movie, and hit the sack. It was a full, but great day.

I am so grateful to have such a wonderful companion. We often talk about how easy it is to be married to each other. We rarely fight or have much contention that lasts long. We just seem to fit so nicely, and understand each other (the good and bad). As the years progress we mesh better and better. We try to make a concentrated effort not to fall into complacency with our marriage. James is often doing special things for me, whether it's a love note or a surprise date, and I try to do the same. In a world where marriages are failing left and right, I do not take it for granted to have such a fulfilling relationship. I'm just so grateful that I have eternity to enjoy it!

August 3, 2010

No comments: