Friday, August 13, 2010

Our Mini Garden

I have really been missing our garden. That was such a fun and worth while experience, but we've been busy with other things this year (well, one MAJOR thing!). One of our neighbors stopped by last night and was selling those Topsy Turvy planters and sharing her inspiring story. She healed herself of kidney cancer partly by eating more organic, raw fruits and vegetables. She said that after her recovery she turned her patio into a garden with pots and hanging planters everywhere so she could eat fresh, organic produce any time she wanted. She now feels she has a duty to share her joy and experience with her neighbors who might think because we don't have any real land, we can't have a garden. She truly did inspire me, and I had one of those "bursts" of energy today so we followed her beautiful example! We weren't too ambitious, but we did plant tomatoes, cucumbers, butter leaf lettuce, kale, and arugula on our little patio. We used pots, and a couple of those Topsy Turvy planters we bought from the neighbor lady. Now if we can only keep them alive, we will have the basics for our salads for the next few months!

Savanna helping Ben plant some arugula.


This is our one remaining flower- all the others died. :(


James is the only one tall enough to water these!

Our tomato plant is on the left, our cucumber plant is on the right.

Bradley and James built this bird house, and Brad painted it himself. He is very proud, although no birds have come to live in it so far. I think we'll need to bribe them with some bird seed!


The boys also got some new sand and sand toys today. They don't know it, but I've ordered them a mini enclosed trampoline for the patio too as a "birth gift" from Emma. We are trying to make our little patio an oasis that they will retreat to often! I know I will need some quiet for the first few weeks! (Savanna has opted to take cash for her birth gift...oh, gone are the days of surprises! She wants me to take her to some thrift stores to buy some clothes next week!)

August 13, 2010

No comments: