
This novel, like many of the other classics I have read, had a profound effect on me. All I really knew about slavery was the little bits I read here and there out of my history textbooks in school. It barely painted a picture of the realities. And even after reading Stowe's account of slavery, I realize fully that she was very tasteful in her descriptions and left much to the imagination. The idea I always retained in my mind from the little I was exposed to in my history books was one of the North being the good guys, and the South being the bad slave-owner guys. This pre-Civil War novel was written by a white abolitionist and really is commentary not about the cruelty of southern slave owners, but about the lack of responsibility of the northern non-slave owners. My interpretation was that Stowe was talking to the North and basically saying that just not owning slaves does not redeem them in the slightest. Turning a blind eye when something is wrong is basically like contributing to it yourself. The North didn't own slaves, but they didn't really want to deal with the issue much either. They didn't want the trouble or responsibility of rehabilitating an entire group of people and teaching them religion or education or self-preservation (even though many in the North claimed to be Christian).
Many of the slave owners in the south treated their slaves well. When it came time for their freedom a lot of slaves chose to stay with their owners. Why? They didn't know how to provide for themselves. They were free, but they had no money or land or skills beyond what they were required to do by their masters. James brought up a great point that the ideas of freedom and slavery still very much exist today. Many of us are in the same position those newly freed slaves were in- no land, no money, no skills...is this not common today? Many of us are slaves to jobs to we hate, but fear to leave, or slaves to addictions or debt, etc. Even though we live in the best country in the world and are told over and over again that we are "free"...are we truly free? I don't think so...but I think we can be more free with the right amounts of courage, determination, and hard work.
Aside from the topic of slavery and freedom, I felt as if I was reading one long sermon from The New Testament. The faith and devotion of some of the characters, especially Uncle Tom, was very inspiring. I loved him from his first description because he emanated Christ's love for others. He encompassed the definition of charity and all that the scriptures talk about as far as loving others, even your enemies. There were other good Christian examples in this novel, both black and white, that I admired greatly, but there was something special about Tom. I doubt I will experience anything to the intense degree that he did, and yet I have only a portion of his faith. I know from limited experience and the accounts of others that trials can make a person rely more on his faith. When there is a deep longing or need you tend to turn to the Lord more often than when things are going well. Although even when Tom was being treated well and allowed a good amount of "freedom," he did not seem to slack in his desire to read the scriptures, pray, or act upon the principles he believed in. For Tom, regardless of what life served him, he chose to remain faithful until the end. This is a choice we all can make.
Needless to say, I am a fan. Lots of great themes to think about. Simply realizing the reality of present day bondage or the need to "up" your spiritually will contribute to great change and great rewards if pondered properly and acted upon. I highly recommend this classic.
August 17, 2010

No comments:
Post a Comment